Pow! is a new initiative from Nick Field in association with Spread the Word and Wotever World and funded by Arts Council England. It is a new free opportunity for London-based LGBTQ creatives (aged 18-25) who want to write and perform their own work, develop their practice and explore the possibilities of live literature.
If you’d like to apply for one of the 10 places available, you must:
• Be aged between 18 – 25 years and live in London;
• Self-identify as LGBTQ;
• Submit a short personal statement (max 500 words) telling us a bit about your work, your up-to-date writing experience, what your ambitions for your work are, and why you want to take part in POW! What would you like to get out of it?
• Submit an example of your work up to 1000 words in length, and any video links you’d like us to see;
• Tell us what kind of work you’d like to make for the showcase (max 300 words). It doesn’t need to be a specific idea just yet, but are there particular themes or questions you’d like to explore?
• Commit to 10 workshops (workshop dates listed below) and the showcase event on 25 September and to creating a 5-10 minute performance piece for the showcase event on 25 September 2018.
Sunday 15th July – 10am-5pm – venue TBC
Saturday 21st July - 10am-5pm – Arch 468 Theatre Studio
Saturday 28th July – 10am-5pm – venue TBC
Saturday 15th September - 10am-5pm - Arch 468 Theatre Studio
Saturday 22nd September - 10am-5pm - Arch 468 Theatre Studio
Showcase date: Tuesday 25th September 2018
The deadline to apply is 5pm on Thursday 28 June. We'll inform all applicants of their outcome on Wednesday 4 July. If you've any questions or queries about Pow! please contact Aliya at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Please use this form to apply to The London Writers Awards 2018. Everything you need to complete your application is contained in this form.
The deadline for applications is 5pm on Friday 22nd June 2018. Applications received after this time and date will not be eligible.
For FAQs and eligibility terms and conditions please visit: https://www.spreadtheword.org.uk/projects/london-writers-awards/
If you have further questions, please email: email@example.com. We aim to respond to queries within three working days.
The City of Stories competition is now open for entries!
If you've attended a City of Stories workshop this summer then we'd like to invite you to submit to the City of Stories 2018 competition.
Our judges, the City of Stories writers-in-residence, Olumide Popoola, Gary Budden, Meena Kandasamy and Leone Ross, are looking for your 500 word short stories.
The competition is free to enter and is open for entries from 1 June 2018- 13 July 2018.
Thanks for your interest in the London Short Story Prize 2018, managed by London's literature development organisation Spread the Word. We have been running the prize since 2013, to discover and raise the profile of short story writers.
This year's judges are Guy Gunaratne, Clare Fisher and Sarah Such.
The winning story will receive £1,000 and a meeting with an agent. Two highly commended authors will receive £250 and a meeting with an editor. Further prizes include spaces on Spread the Word courses, and membership to the London Writers Network. All shortlisted stories will be published in the London Short Story Prize Anthology, to be launched in April 2019.
Each entry costs £8 and we have 50 free entries for London writers on a low-income. Details on how to apply for this can be found in the Prize’s rules and guidelines - you can find them here.
We're looking forward to reading your stories!