Spread the Word is delighted to be an official partner for The Free Reads scheme, supporting applications from London writers. Over the last 10 years, we’ve supported more than 70 writers with receiving professional feedback. The scheme is open throughout the year with two deadline windows: 1 July and 1 December 2019.
To apply for the Free Reads scheme via Spread the Word, you must live in London and be on a low-income, meeting one of the following criteria:
– You are in receipt of Universal Credit, Job Seeker’s Allowance, disability benefit, income support or working tax credit
– You earn less than the London Living Wage of £10.55 per hour
– You are a full-time student
– You are aged 60 or over
If you identify as being on low-income but do not meet one of the criteria listed above then please get in touch as we are able to evaluate applicants’ eligibility on a case-by-case basis.
All applicants must submit:
– A completed TLC Free Reads Scheme form (available to download here)
– The first 1,000 words of your writing or up to 20 pages if your writing is poetry or script-writing
– A complete synopsis of the written work submitted. The synopsis must clearly show your story’s outline and should not exceed 1,000 words
– Documentation that shows you meet the criteria to apply for a Free Read
We will respond to all applicants within three weeks after each deadline window.
We have provided a list of FAQs with details on how to submit your entry. If you have any further queries, please get in touch. Good luck!